rail is the the superior local transit option for the Charlotte
area! It is more attractive to riders, increases economic development,
encourages smart and orderly growth, and is more friendly to the environment
as an integral component of mass transit for the Charlotte region!
Here is what
we hope to accomplish:
- Demonstrate how light rail is affordable--how
other cities have made light rail happen.
- Explain why only a system that combines
the best features of both light rail and bus will provide the modern
and efficient transit system.
- Save the taxpayers the burden of support
for a busway network which even if it should succeed in attracting riders
will fail because of its high operating and maintenance costs.
- Stop the use of rail corridors to build
Rail transit brings benefits in three areas:
* Wins riders away from their cars
* Good ride quality
* Low operating cost
* Saves Energy
* Reduces congestion
* More efficient use of land
* Stimulates investment and
* Channels growth
* Protects residential
* Less need for highway