DUTCHESS COUNTY RAILROAD
The railroads in southern Dutchess County terminated at ferries at Dutchess Junction and
Fishkill Landing and railroads across southern Columbia County terminated at a ferry at
Rhinecliff. Even the largest and fastest ferries were inefficient and were restricted to the
Hudson River's ice-free months.
No sooner did railroads begin ferry operations then serious talk started about
bridging the Hudson somewhere in the Mid-Hudson region where the river was narrow. That
effort focused on Poughkeepsie and in 1888 the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge was opened.
A rail connection between Poughkeepsie and Hopewell Junction was only a matter of time.
Thus the Dutchess County Railroad was completed in 1892, allowing for a second through
route from New England. There already existed a line angling down from The Hartford and
Connecticut Western connection in Millerton.
Hopewell Junction now became a spot from which trains departed in four different directions: