Railroad related web content provided as an educational volunteer effort of the American Passenger Rail Heritage Foundation (APRHF), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
To help preserve passenger rail heritage click here to join today! Support APRHF by shopping at Amazon Smile! Hosting made possible by our sponsors.

Custom Search
HOME APRHF TRAINWEB.COM .NET .ORG .US FORUM FACEBOOK NEWS RAILCAMS TRAVEL RAILFAN MODEL JOBS PARTY
TrainWeb Reports & Web Sites: Featured Today! Previously Featured Slideshows Highlighted Past The Big Stories Directory
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
OLD HOPEWELL JUNCTION
Click on thumbnail to enlarge.
Use to return to this page.
Layout Description
     In this north facing view, the Dutchess & Columbia passenger depot is seen at its original position to the south of the Borden's Creamery. The depot would later be moved to the diamond after theNew York & New England and theDutchess County Railroad made Hopewell a true junction. The depot still stands (though having suffered much damage)and is now owned by the Hopewell Depot Restoration Group.
     The village of Hopewell is seen to the left, along Railroad Avenue, where many of these same buildings still stand.
Railroad Avenue
     Note that by 1910, the date of this picture, the passenger depot had been moved to its present location. The large structure to the left is the Borden’s Creamery. The frame house to its right was owned by the Borden's Company and served as lodging for the company inspectors that frequented the creameries along the many rail lines in Dutchess County.
     Part of the helper engine service facility can be seen to the right.
1910 View
     This view looks up the tracks beyond the Creamery to the junction. To the right, one of several engine houses that were found at various times in Hopewell Junction is seen busily servicing locomotives. Apparently at the time of this photo, there was still a turntable in use. As locomotives got larger, the turntable would be removed, as equipment could be turned on the wye to the north of the junction. Locomotive Service Facility
     Someone wrote the word “Bordens” on the photograph. This view shows the side of the creamery opposite the rail docks. This photograph shows milk cans being delivered to the creamery through the wagon access dock. A later addition would extend the creamery to the left. Borden's Creamery - East Side
     The Borden’s Public Relations Office was gracious enough to send a couple of old pictures that they had in their files of the creamery at Hopewell Junction. This panoramic view is actually several photographs spliced together.
     This view shows the creamery from the side to which the farmers would deliver their milk. The new addition is to the left. The tracks in the foreground are the tracks that allowed New York & New England trains from Connecticut to use their trackage rights on the (by then) Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut railroad to access their ferry dock at Fishkill Landing (present day Beacon).
Bordens Creamery - Panoramic 
East Side
     This is also a photograph sent by Borden’s Public Relations Office. This view looks to the north showing the rail docks.Farther up the tracks you can see the passenger depot on the right and the freight station on the left. Borden's Creamery - View from South
     An interesting comparison can be made between the Borden's Creamery in Hopewell Junction and one that was found in Fort Ann on the D&H. I found this picture on the website owned by the Rensselaer Model Railroad Society . Note the similar construction of the ventilators and cupolas. Borden's Creamery - Fort Ann,
 NY
     This gas-powered railbus was used to transport students in the 1920's and 30's via the railroad. They came from rural areas as far away as Millbrook to attend the high school in the "big city" of Beacon before the creation of other Dutchess County school districts. The bus also supplied other people with transportation and had a section for baggage. Here it is seen in the river yard next to the New York Central main in Beacon. The bridge carried auto and wagon traffic across the tracks to the stations and ferry terminal. rail bus
     Locomotive #125 of the New York & New England occupies track next to the Newburgh, Dutchess, and Connecticut headquarters and station in Matteawan (Beacon) in this turn of the century postcard. The station is still in use, though not for railroad purposes. During a recent renovation, many records of the Newburgh, Dutchess, and Connecticut were found and have provided much new information about the railroad. matteawan station
HOPEWELL JUNCTION MODEL RAILROAD CLUB



View TrainWeb.US Stats

Click below for pages in the directory of TrainWeb sites:
0-9 A B C D E
F G H I J K
L M N O P Q
R S T U V W
X Y Z
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL CATEGORY DIRECTORY

Visit our Rail Magazine promotion trading partners:      (Click here to add your print rail magazine.)


Custom Search
TrainWeb Reports & Web Sites: Featured Today! Previously Featured Slideshows Highlighted Past The Big Stories Directory
HOME APRHF TRAINWEB.COM .NET .ORG .US FORUM FACEBOOK NEWS RAILCAMS TRAVEL RAILFAN MODEL JOBS PARTY
Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Silver Rails Country for Train Enthusiasts
View Stats  | Page updated:02/08/2016  | Version 2016b08c  | Links  | ©2015-2018 NordiLusta, LLC