Content provided as an educational volunteer effort of the American Passenger Rail Heritage Foundation (APRHF), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Please help support the preservation and promotion of passenger rail heritage. Join the APRHF today! Website hosting made possible by our sponsors.

HOME APRHF TRAINWEB.COM .NET .ORG .US FORUM FACEBOOK NEWS RAILCAMS TRAVEL RAILFAN MODEL JOBS PARTY
TrainWeb Reports & Web Sites: Featured Today Past Highlights Previously Featured Slideshows The Big Stories Directory

The Brockville & Ottawa Railway


Location: The Brockville & Ottawa Railway Company (B&OR) was located in eastern Ontario, extending between the Lake Ontario community of Brockville and Sand Point on the Ottawa River.

History: During the mid 1800's, a number of the communities located along the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario shoreline strove to increase their commercial and trading influence on undeveloped lands to the north. In this manner, Brockville was no different, hoping to capitalize on the potential mineral and timber resources nearby. Accordingly, prominent residents of that community incorporated in 1853 the Brockville & Ottawa Railway Company with the intention of constructing a line north to a point on the Rideau River at or near Smiths Falls, and then on to the Ottawa River at or near Pembroke. In addition, the company was granted permission to construct branch lines from Smiths Falls to Perth and to Newboro, Westport, Merrickville and Richmond. To finance construction, monetary grants were obtained from communities and townships the proposed route was intended to pass through.

Construction began in 1854, commencing at the Grand Trunk line in Brockville. With the exception of several river crossings, it was anticipated that building the line would be straight forward as the terrain was generally flat. Progress was slow, however, given the lack of funds available, a problem that would plague the line for most of its corporate history. As a result, the line from Brockville to Smiths Falls was not completed and opened for traffic until February 1859. Shortly thereafter, the branch into Perth was finished, the location of a future connection west with the Ontario & Quebec Railway . By August, the mainline was open to Almonte. Once again, the company fell into financial problems and it wasn't until 1867 that the road was extended north to Sand Point on the Ottawa River, just east of Renfrew. The railway was short of its goal of reaching Pembroke by 48 miles, an area where most of the anticipated lumber traffic would be generated from. As well, the company struggled in making a connection with the Brockville waterfront to gain access to Ogdensburg, New York ferry boats. This occurred primarily because the end of the line and Brockville waterfront were separated by a substantial bluff.

As the company wallowed in financial trouble, it failed to complete the components of its system that could ultimately make it profitable. Work had began on the extension of the line south from the GTR to the waterfront in 1854 by way of a tunnel that passed under the downtown area, exiting onto a spit that extended into the lake. Here was to be located the company shops, terminal facilities and ferry docks. Work was finally completed in December 1860 at tremendous costs. Prosperity for the B&OR, however, finally arrived in the 1870's at which point critical services such as a proper engine house, docks and grain elevators were completed. It was also around this time that relations with the Canada Central Railway , then under construction from Ottawa west to Carleton Place, became close with many of the company officials residing on both boards of directors. In 1877, the two railways fell into the hands of capitalist Duncan McIntyre who merged the companies into one the next year under the name of the Canada Central Railway Company. By 1881, the former tracks of the B&OR formed part of the Canadian Pacific Railway system.

Approximate Milage: The mainline from Brockville to Sand Point was 86 miles while the branch line from Smiths Falls to Perth was 12 miles.

Current Status: Under Canadian Pacific ownership, the line formed part of the Chalk River and Brockville Subdivisions. In 1996, Ottawa Valley RaiLink Investments leased from the CPR the tracks extending from Smiths Falls north through Arnprior to Sudbury for freight operations.

Principle Stations: Brockville, Smiths Falls, Perth, Carleton Place, Almonte and Arnprior.

Remaining Stations: There are seven known stations remaining from the former B&OR line. They are as follows:
1. Beckwith: Structure moved and rebuilt as a private residence to property on County Road 10.
2. Bellamy: Moved to property at 8720 County Road 28 as a private residence.
3. Bells Crossing: Moved as a farm storage shed to property near Eastons Corners.
4. Carleton Place: In situ on Cloeman Street at Queen Street as the Carleton Place Daycare Station.
5. Franktown: Moved to property on north side of Perth Road as a private residence.
6. Smith Falls: In situ at Daniel and Victoria Streets, remains in railway ownership.
7. Story: Moved to property near Eastons Corners as a storage building.


Additional information about Ottawa Valley RaiLink activities can be had from the Unofficial Ottawa Valley RaiLink Homepage .


Last Updated: June 25, 2003

Return to Canadian Pacific Railway

Return to ORHP Home

Click below for pages in the directory of TrainWeb sites:
0-9 A B C D E
F G H I J K
L M N O P Q
R S T U V W
X Y Z
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL CATEGORY DIRECTORY

Visit our Rail Magazine promotion trading partners:      (Click here to add your print rail magazine.)


ad pos61 ad pos63
ad pos62 ad pos64

TrainWeb Reports & Web Sites: Featured Today Past Highlights Previously Featured Slideshows The Big Stories Directory
HOME APRHF TRAINWEB.COM .NET .ORG .US FORUM FACEBOOK NEWS RAILCAMS TRAVEL RAILFAN MODEL JOBS PARTY

Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Silver Rails Country for Train Enthusiasts

shopify site analytics
View TrainWeb.US Stats  | Page updated:12/22/2018  | Version 2018l22b  | Links  | ©2015-2019 NordiLusta, LLC