||Washington Union Station (MP 113.5) was the northern terminus of the RF&P's
passenger service, though the trackage was Pennsy/Penn Central/Conrail.
||Potomac Yard (MP 107.2) was the northern terminus of the RF&P. The northern end was
electrified by the Pennsylvania. The yard had two humps, one for each direction. A modern intermodal
facility was located on the east side of the yard.
Shortly before its demise, it was one of the most modern yards in the country.
These days, its location has been developed into a new shopping complex.
In years past, the Washington & Old Dominion, Pennsylvania, Penn Central,
Conrail, Baltimore & Ohio, Chesapeake & Ohio, Chessie System, CSX,
Southern, Norfolk Southern and CP/D&H have done interchanging
The fall of 1998 saw the mainline relocated from the west side of the former
yard property to the east side, adjacent to the metrorail right of way.
||Alexandria (MP 105.3) was my stomping ground, with most of my pictures coming
between PY and AF. The 1905 Station here was in the process of being restored. Both of VRE's lines
stop here, and Amtrak still mans the station. The old freight house used to be where the King Street
metrorail station is now.
CSX removed the easternmost track (leaving 3 tracks) in the late 90s.
AF Interlocking (MP 104.3) is where the ex-Southern Line to Manassas splits from the
RF&P. VRE's two lines split here as well. The interlocking can be viewed from the Telegraph Road
Just past AF tower were the shops of Fruit Growers Express.
David Davies Photo
In pre-Metro times, the sweeping curve at Franconia (MP 99.3) was an excellent
photo spot. Just south of the grade lies the new Franconia/Springfield
Metro Station, the southern terminus of the Blue Line, and a corresponding
VRE platform. An earlier station at the crest of Franconia Hill (Near present-day
Franconia Road, MP 99.3) was torn down in 1952. Franconia also
boasted the highest elevation above sea-level on the RF&P.
David Davies Photo
Newington (post 1954)
Accotink (pre 1954)
Accotink/Newington (MP 95.7) The little used U.S. Government tracks
to Fort Belvoir interchange here. The tracks on base have been abandoned
on South Post, and the Newington station is long gone (torn down 1971).
David Davies Photo
||Lorton (MP 92.5) is the Northern terminus of Amtrak's Auto Train to Florida.
About a half-mile south of the terminal a one-lane wooden bridge crosses
over the tracks (Gunston Cove Road). North of the AutoTrain terminal is
VRE's Lorton Station.
||The little town of Colchester lies just north of the Occoquan. The
bridge over the Occoquan can be viewed from here at mp 90 (MP 89.9 in 10/89 timetable).
|Woodbridge (Post 1951)
|Woodbridge (MP 89.4) boasts a new station to host VRE's functions.
Just north is the bridge over the Occoquan River. Between Woodbridge and
Cherry Hill are several spectacular bridges over inlets from the Potomac
A station and freight house used to be located just south of the
Occoquan river crossing. The team track there (west of track 3, just under the old Railroad Ave
Bridge) is still used today.
||Cherry Hill (MP 82.4) is a future stop on VRE's Fredericksburg
||Quantico (MP 78.8) is one of Amtrak's Tidewater (Northeast Direct)
service stops, and also hosts VRE. Its station was built in 1953 to conform
to the architecture of the Marine Corps base. It replaced a two-story frame
structure constructed 1919. A freight station was on the opposite side
of the tracks.
RF&P Passenger service from Richmond reached Quantico in 1871,
and ceased exactly 99 years later. Prior to 1920, Quantico is also where
the RF&P ended, and met the southern terminus of the Washington Southern (Nee Alexandria and Fredericksburg). The section
from Aquia to Quantico fell under the authorization of up to a 10mile branch after reaching the Potomac.
Aquia (MP 70.7) was where the RF&P first reached the Potomac. Prior to 1871, Cargo and Passengers were transferred to steamboat here
for the trip to Washington.
Brooke (MP 68.1)
David Davies Photo
||RF&P's Fredericksburg (MP 59.4) Station still stands, and the Virginia
Railway Express' southern terminus is here. The 1910 station was renovated
in 1927, at the time when the tracks were elevated. The Rappahannock River
crossing was built in 1927 as well. This was the last section of the RF&P
to be double tracked.
FB tower (MP 58.8) governed access to the Fredericksburg Yard
||Summit (MP 51.5)
||Guinea (MP 46.9)
||Woodford (MP 44.5) info, courtesy of Bill Sheild
|Bowing Green Park
||Milford (MP 37.8) rated heavy agricultural traffic in the late 1800s,
and was a busy station through the second world war, with Fort A.P. Hill
nearby. The frame station was built 1891, and dismantled in favor
of a shelter in 1955. MD Tower was here. In the 70s, Milford Yard was home
to rolling stock awaiting the scrapper's torch.
||Penola (MP 33) rated an 1886 frame passenger depot, and a freight depot
of the same year. Both lasted into the 1940s, when the passenger depot
was dismantled and the freight station converted to dual-use. Around the
same time, a shelter shed was installed for northbound patrons. The
shelter was removed 1951, and the freight station was removed 1954.
Ruther Glen (MP 27.1)
David Davies photo
Doswell (MP 21.8)
has the diamond from the old C&O Charlottesville - Richmond line. Most
of the CSX traffic now stays on the RF&P. Kings Dominion is a few miles
away. HN tower guarded the diamond.
The Brick station was opened in 1928, replacing an earlier frame structure.
Denis Blake Photo
Ashland (MP 14.8) has the picturesque double-track main splitting main
street. Randolph-Macon College is across the tracks from the station, built
1923. At one time, a freight station stood on the east side of the tracks
across from the station. To this day, trains are restricted to 15 M.P.H.
The RF&P Donated the station to the Town
of Ashland in 1983. It serves as their visitors' center.
Rob McKeever Photo
||One of the first stops in Hanover County, MP 11.5.
||MP 8.1. Frame station was closed by the RF&P in 1956.
||Acca Yard was the southern terminus of the RF&P's freight
trains. Here they interchanged with the ACL & SAL. The RF&P's Bryan
Park shops were located here. The James River Branch split west
at the Wye at AY Tower at the south end of the yard.
||Broad Street Station in Richmond was shared between the ACL
and the RF&P. Today, it is currently being used as a science museum.
Three of the west platform tracks have been reinstalled, and there is some
equipment on display. The RF&P (Richmond, Freelance & Prototype)
Model Railroaders also have space here. Company business car RFP
ONE is on display now as well.