- Gravel, slag or other heavy material used as a road bed to support cross
ties and rails.
Goose - A high-rail car used by management to get out of the office
and look important.
- a.k.a. pumpcars
- A vehicle, usually a pickup truck, with small rail wheels used to carry
- speeder motorcar
Car - a.k.a Speeder. A motor-driven railway inspection or work car
which rides on the rails and is operated by maintenance of way employees
to minimize time spent traveling while on duty.
- Maintenance of Way Department
- Team leader responsible for seeing that work gets done on schedule
OR a locomotive built to help trains up steep grades by pushing from behind.
Bed - The foundation on which the rails and ties of a railroad are
- small, low rail vehicle with gasoline engine used to transport work
crews; sometimes known as a jigger, motorcar, or putt-putt
Car - Railroad car used by Sperry Rail Service to detect weakened
or cracked rails.
- rail vehicle used to push gravel or snow away from the outsides of the
- Flame thrower vehicle which rides on the tracks and is used to kill
weeds along the track right-of way.
Train - A train engaged in company service for which no revenue is