Depots Along The Corn Belt Route
The Chicago Great Western Railroad Depot in Austin, Minnesota was constructed in 1958 during the Deramus era.
The Chicago Great Western
on Myrtle Street in downtown Elizabeth, Illinois was constructed in
1888 and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Sites.
The original station at Hudson, Ia. This building was originally used by the CGW as a combined passenger/freight station at Hudson. It has been relocated to its current place as a roadside museum approximately 5 mi. SW of Waterloo Iowa on US Highway 63.
Images of the CGW at Diagonal, IA in 1967 courtesy of Paul Corkery Dysart, Iowa
The CGW station at Dubuque, Iowa.
The station at Cannon Falls, MN - October 10, 1977. The railroad is long gone from this part of Cannon Falls but, the depot remains along side the Cannon Valley Bike trail. It is used as storage by a local company.
A Deramus era depot located in Dodge Center, Mn - Dec. 26, 1966 This station was still standing as of the summer of 1997, although not as well kept. The CGW overpass in Dodge Center was removed in the summer of 1997.
The station at Hayfield, Mn - Dec. 26, 1966. Now if one goes to Hayfield, you would never know there was a railroad there for 85 years. The engine house that was built after the roundhouse was destroyed by a tornado it in 1962 still stands, and is being used as some sort of factory by a local company.
The station at Kenyon, Mn - Dec. 26, 1966. The CGW has left a few traces in Kenyon. South of town along Minnesota Highway 56, there is a long cut along the left side of the road from Kenyon south to Skyberg.
The station at Red Wing, MN - May 3, 1970. By this time the CGW is just a memory, now a part of the C&NW. Today, the depot, once described as the finest passenger station ever built by the CGW, is a Hardee's resturant, with the rails a distant memory. Well worth a visit by those interested in the CGW with many interesting pictures and artifacts.
The station at West Concord, Mn - Dec. 26, 1966. In Kenyon the traces of the CGW are still there, but not easy to find.
The station at Racine, Mn - 1961. In Racine traces of the CGW are still there, but not easy to find. North of town on the way to Stewartville, there is a portion of the old right of way that is preserved as Racine prairie. Thanks to J.L. Rueber for the image.
depot in Rochester was orginally constructed by the Winona &
Southwestern Railroad. The Depot was moved back to the original site
and recently was a resturant in Rochester. The photo is courtesy of the
Olmsted County Historical Society.
railroad depot was the first building raised in Ostrander, (Minnesota)
under the name, Winona and Southwestern, which was later changed to the
Chicago Great Western in 1894.
Photos of the CGW station at Sheradan MO in 1967. courtesy of Paul Corkery Dysart, Iowa
A post card depicting the depot and rail yard at Stocton Ill. Circa 1912 by R.G. Rottler in Stockton, Ill. Courtesy Rick Behrendt
union depot at Taopi, MN served both the CGW and the Milwaukee Road.
There was an interlocking plant at the station to control the railroad
crossing immediately in front of the station. The men that worked there
referred to this as the "tower" even though the floor was only raised
about two feet.
A photo of the CGW depot at Welch village Minnesota.(era unknown)Courtesy James L. Rueber. Joseph Tolstead, my great grandfather's brother was the agent/telegrapher at this station for a while in the beginning of the century.
Copyright 1998,99 Tom Tolstead
View TrainWeb.US Stats